Indian Cauli Dip (raw, vegan, grainfree)

I told you I was having with with April in the Raw. So much fun that I decided to try a week of entirely raw food. Or close to it. I’m not giving up my decaf coffee. Sorry, kids. Not right now.

Remember all those recipes I said I was working on? This isn’t one of them. See, I’m working on most of them in my head still, and I needed some ingredients that had to be ordered. Order placed. Meantime, a girl has to eat. And, this, this was dinner.

Indian Cauli Dip Salad

I have to admit, the dip itself is not very photogenic. But, it is tasty enough that the kiddo ate it. (He ate his spread on crackers, salad on the side.) He doesn’t know there’s raw cauliflower in it. Shhhh…. I won’t tell if you won’t.

Indian Cauli Dip

1/2 cup cashews
1/4 cup (about 4) sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 small head cauliflower
1/2 t. whole cumin
1/2 t. whole brown mustard seed
1/2 t. whole coriander seed
pinch cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2-4 T. water or melted coconut oil (I used water, but oil would make this a richer dish)

Soak the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes for 2-3 hours. Drain. In a spice grinder, grind the cumin, mustard seeds, and coriander. Put all ingredients in a food processor. Start with 2 T. water or oil.  Process until smooth, scraping occasionally. Add the additional oil or water if mixture is not coming together.

If you like raw onion and garlic, a small amount of either would be good in this. I was going for the flavor profile of aloo gobi, and I think I got it pretty close. I served this atop a bed of baby spinach, with some grated carrot, more cashews, and chopped cilantro.

About these ads
This entry was posted in cashews, cauliflower, grain-free, Indian, main dish, nuts, raw, side dish, vegan and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Indian Cauli Dip (raw, vegan, grainfree)

1. Maggie says:

Sounds awesome! I am always on the lookout for a new dip recipe! Thanks Deanna. You are rocking this raw thing!

• Deanna says:

Thanks Maggie! I’m having a lot of fun with it. And, it’s so freaking healthy. I ate 5 different veggies and 6 different fruits today. How cool is that?

2. obviously I LOVE this. but thats a given because you are amazing! :)

3. Heather says:

You are so inspiring!!! Love this recipe!

4. Wow! This looks really good! Am starting to get my head around this raw thing. Will definitely try this recipe.

• Deanna says:

Great Nicola. Let me know what you think of it! Raw doesn’t have to be super hard and complicated. The most complicated aspect is remembering to soak stuff. (I sort of suck at that.)

5. What a fun way to use cauliflower! And you had me at cumin and coriander ;) I’ve added this to my Favorite Recipes post for last week. Thanks!!! ~Aubree

6. Stephanie says:

Wow that does sound good!! I would have never thought of putting raw cauliflower into a dip! What a great idea!!

• Deanna says:

Thanks Stephanie,
      I actually saw it used in a different kind of dip somewhere else (and I can’t recall where now). But, it made me think – hey I can do that!