SRC: Adventures in Dinner – Panna Cotta

It’s that time again – time for another edition of Secret Recipe Club. SRC is a virtual food blogger secret Santa party. All the participants are secretly assigned another blog to explore. We’re to select a recipe to make or adapt and then we all post about it on the same day. Fun, no?

My assignment this month is Adventures in Dinner. Jane began her blog back in March of 2010, while she was on maternity leave. She’s had quite a few adventures since then. She’s back at work, but still going strong in her blogging about living within a budget, on limited time. She has a great series about using up what’s in your fridge – Food Waste Fridays. I could learn a thing or two from her here. Or maybe we could commiserate together. I’m the queen of the forgotten zucchini. Ew. Gross.

Beyond the forgotten veggies, our eating styles are not that similar. She and her family are meat eaters; I’m not. She does lots of pastry; I’m gluten and dairy free. But despite our differences, I still enjoyed reading her tales of putting healthy food on the table for her family, in the midst of all of life’s chaos.

There’s not much more chaotic than home remodeling. And the post that inspired me the most has a title I just love – Sometimes You Just Really Need Dessert. Yes, Jane, I couldn’t agree more. And, it’s even better when that dessert takes all of 15 minutes to put together, but looks like it took longer. Jane made a lovely creamy panna cotta. I’ve adapted her recipe to be vegan, and simplified the ingredient list down to three (okay four, if you count the chunks of chocolate). On a day when you really need dessert, this is the way to go.

Creamy Smooth and Sweet Panna Cotta

Creamy Smooth and Sweet Panna Cotta

Dairy-Free Coconut Panna Cotta

1 pint So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer (I used the hazelnut flavor.)
1 cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2.5 t. agar flakes
4 chocolate chunks

Place first three ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, until agar is completely dissolved. Place a chocolate chunk in the bottom of 4 glasses. If you want to be extra careful about not having any agar bits in the bottom of your glass, strain the hot liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Divide liquid mixture between 4 glasses. Chill until firm. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, if desired.

See all the other posts in the Secret Recipe Club

About these ads
This entry was posted in chocolate, coconut, desserts, grain-free, vegan and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to SRC: Adventures in Dinner – Panna Cotta

1. Wow! how simple is that! I love the idea of the chocolate surprise at the bottom.

• Deanna says:

The kiddo said that instead of putting straight up chocolate at the bottom, that I should melt some with some of the panna cotta and do a layered dessert. I think he’s right – the chilled chocolate was hard and difficult to eat. I meant to do a second version using his suggestion, but ran out of time. So, if you try it – try it that way and let me know what you think. :)

2. Kathryn says:

What a beautiful introduction to the blog. I’ve got a friend who will enjoy her blog as they cook very much the same so I’ll pass it along. Love your adaptation and that you used my favorite brand of creamer to make it. =D This is the kind of dessert my hubby loves and I can’t wait to make it for him. =D

• Deanna says:

So Delicious is good stuff, isn’t it? The creamer is actually a bit too sweet for me to use straight-up. Mixed with the unsweetened, we were split. Kiddo and I still thought it was a little on the sweet side. Kiddo’s dad thought it was just right. Totally depends on your taste buds, I think.

3. Eliot says:

Looks pretty amazing! Guilt-free, right? Great SRC post!

4. SO GLAD that you got my blog this month. We are actually a dairy free house too. I use; almond, soy or rice milk for everything and Earth Balance is my best friend. I’m bookmarking your site right now to get more meatless suggestions (we need these). Thanks so much for the gorgeous write-up.

• Deanna says:

I’m glad you liked it, Jane. It really was fun to read all about your adventures – and that panna cotta recipe was super easy to convert. I don’t do any soy and very few grains these days – so I’m all about almond and coconut milk. Hope you find some things to try that you like. :)

5. Rhonda says:

I am also probably your polar opposite in the food department, but this sounds great! I read your comment regarding the chocolate, thanks for sharing the learned lesson. I’m forwarding this to my Mom who has a restricted diet and is a lazy cook these days. This recipe is perfect for her.

6. Joanna says:

Oooo, I love panna cotta and this looks really tasty! I am going to have to keep my eye out for the So Delicious products.

7. I’ve only made panna cotta once. I need to try it again. This recipe sounds really good!

8. Oh my this looks very good. You picked a great recipe for SRC. Looks very decadent. Thanks for sharing with us.

9. Wow, Deanna, that looks decadently delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I cannot wait to try it!

• Deanna says:

You’re welcome! It’s super easy, too – thanks to all the flavor and sweetness already incorporated into the creamer. Thanks for making such delicious products for us food sensitive folks!

10. I discovered how easy panna cotta is to prepare as well a few month ago. And it is so satisfying for an aching sweet tooth. I really like your version vegan version!

11. georgiecakes says:

You are funny and cute and have a pretty good picker for dessert! I’m actually craving to make this panna cotta recipe soon! It’s nice to meet you through SRC!

12. ooo it loooks sooo fluffy!!! yum!!!

Glad to be in Group C with you!!

13. Trisha says:

Looks like a great dessert … Nice pick for SRC!

14. marla says:

Oh wow does this look creamy & amazing!
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C – http://su.pr/2rtACr

15. Manu says:

I love this recipe for panna cotta! Great idea to use coconut milk instead of regular cream! I am sure it tasted delicious! :-)

16. Jayasri says:

Love this taste of panna cotta :), that’s absolutely delicious, because I love coconut ! Mmm., beautiful clicks too.., Its really wonderful to be with you in SRC

17. Pingback: Panna Cotta: The Mommy Bowl | The Secret Recipe Club

18. That looks so yummy! I used to use So Delicious stuff all the time, until my second son turned up allergic to coconut :( . Now I just use the beverage as “milk” for my older son. I will have to go check out the original version!